NT Government releases COVID-19 Disability Support Services Sub Plan
While the Department of Health is responsible for the COVID-19 pandemic response, the Disability Support Services Sub Plan (the Sub Plan) assists all stakeholders to manage a COVID-19 outbreak in the Northern Territory (NT). It includes the roles and responsibilities of a multi-agency urban response team.
The plan contains the following broad sections: preparedness, outbreak response, and recovery.
Principles contained in the Sub Plan:
- Infection prevention, control and containment are key to ensure the safety of people with disability, disability support service staff, and the broader community
- The following principles are intended to guide decisions in the context of the COVID-19 pandemic: the health, welfare and safety of people with disability, staff and the broader community is of fundamental concern in all decision making
- The clinical needs of people with disability are paramount
- People with disability continue to have a right to access public health services (including hospital)
- Preferences of people with disability as articulated by themselves, their substitute decision-maker, or through an advanced care directive, will be supported where practical and clinically appropriate
- Compassionate and culturally appropriate care and communication will be maintained, with access to the Interpreter Services and/ or the Aboriginal Interpreter Service