Behaviour Support Practitioner Recorded Webinars
NDS's Behaviour Support Practitioners recorded webinars are a series of professional development workshops held in 2021. NDS would like to acknowledge the two-year grant funding from the NDIS Quality and Safeguards Commission which allowed these webinars to be developed.
- Explore resources related to the PBS Capability Framework
- Learn more about upholding the rights of people with disability
- Understand the intersection of health, well-being and behavioural expression of needs
- Learn more about writing simple Plain Language plans
- Consider the components of a quick, brief, clear, and safe Interim Response.
Who is this for?
- Behaviour Support Practitioners
- Practice Leaders
- Quality Teams/Critical Incident teams
- Management (some of the workshops, eg. chemical restraint)
Webinar 1: 'Considering health, pain and communication in positive behaviour support'.
We know that for people with intellectual disability changes in behaviour can potentially signal a serious health issue. We also know this can be missed.
Webinar running time: 01:03:03
- Recognising Restrictive Practice Films
- Empowerment Circle
- Compendium of Resources for Positive Behaviour Support - NDIS Quality and Safeguards Commission
Webinar 2: 'Writing positive behaviour support plans using Plain Language'.
Understanding behaviour can sometimes be complex. Your plans and resources don’t need to be. Learn how to write strategies that can be understood and used.
Webinar running time: 01:34:01
- South Australia Government: Easy read online Accessibility Toolkit
- Australia Government: Plain language and word choice Style Manual
- A resource on accessible communication from Scope Australia: 10 Steps to Communication Access [PDF]
Webinar 3: 'Interim response - debriefing, dignity and risk'.
Beginning with the end in mind, this webinar on Interim Response talks directly to reduction and elimination of restrictive practices. We also compare and contrast an Interim response with a Comprehensive Behaviour support plan and consider strategies.
Webinar running time: 01:28:50
- Foundations of Positive Behaviour Support Films
- Zero Tolerance Framework
- National framework for reducing and eliminating the use of restrictive practices in the disability service sector
NDS invites Behaviour Support Practitioners to a series of four free professional development workshops.