What every board member should know about finances - Webinars
National Disability Services invites board members of organisations to view a series of three webinars with Our Community, The Institute of Community Directors Australia. Each webinar is standalone and can be viewed independently, however we do recommend viewing all 3 in order if possible. Thanks to the Victorian Government's Transition Support Package, webinars can be accessed free of charge.
The webinar will provide an introduction into what every board member needs to know about finances.
On completion of this webinar board members should be able to:
- Describe the financial system that should be in place for their organisation
- Clearly identify the key financial information they should be looking at and how it differs from operational matters
- Recognise when they are or are not meeting their legal obligations as it relates to directors duties
This course will equip board members with the knowledge and confidence to ask the ‘right’ financial question.
The webinar will provide an insight into what board members need to understand about financial reports and statements. Whilst this is the second webinar in a series of three; each webinar is a standalone and can be viewed in isolation.On completion of this webinar, attendees will be able to:
- Recognise signs of financial stress from the financial statements
- Describe solvency and be able to ask questions relating to it
- Clearly identify roles of the financial statements.
- This course will equip board members with the knowledge and confidence to read and interpret financial statements.
The webinar will further unpack what every board member should know about finances, reflecting on the Centro Finance case study and its implications. Whilst this is the third webinar in a series of three, each webinar is standalone and can be viewed in isolation.On completion of this webinar, attendees will be able to:
- Empower board members to control the financial information they receive without entering operations
- Identify correct process for delegations and their link to legal obligations
- Recognise the minimum standards of financial literacy required to be a board member
- This course will assist board members to understand their legal obligations as it relates to finances.