Behaviour Support Practitioner Recorded Webinars
NDS's Behaviour Support Practitioners recorded webinars are a series of professional development workshops held in 2021. NDS would like to acknowledge the two-year grant funding from the NDIS Quality and Safeguards Commission which allowed these webinars to be developed.
- Explore resources related to the PBS Capability Framework
- Learn more about upholding the rights of people with disability
- Understand the intersection of health, well-being and behavioural expression of needs
- Learn more about writing simple Plain Language plans
- Consider the components of a quick, brief, clear, and safe Interim Response
- Gain an understanding of how to support reduction of medication to manage behaviour of concern
Who is this for?
- Behaviour Support Practitioners
- Practice Leaders
- Quality Teams/Critical Incident teams
- Management (some of the workshops, eg. chemical restraint)
- Support Coordinators
Related NDS Resources
- Learning Record for Behaviour Support Practitioners
The Learning Record can be used for each webinar as a reflection guide and to add to your Portfolio of Evidence.
- Support Coordinator / Behaviour Support Checklist
Support Coordinators can use this tool when seeking to engage a provider to develop a Behaviour Support plan for NDIS participants.
Webinar 1: 'Considering health, pain and communication in positive behaviour support'.
We know that for people with intellectual disability changes in behaviour can potentially signal a serious health issue. We also know this can be missed.
Webinar running time: 01:03:03
- Empowerment Circle
- Compendium of Resources for Positive Behaviour Support | NDIS Commission
- NDIS Commission Practice Alerts for Health related matters
Webinar 2: 'Writing positive behaviour support plans using Plain Language'.
Understanding behaviour can sometimes be complex. Your plans and resources don’t need to be. Learn how to write strategies that can be understood and used.
Webinar running time: 01:34:01
- Easy read online Accessibility Toolkit | South Australian Government
- Plain language and word choice Style Manual | Australian Government
- A resource on accessible communication from Scope Australia: 10 Steps to Communication Access [PDF]
Webinar 3: 'Interim response - debriefing, dignity and risk'.
Beginning with the end in mind, this webinar on Interim Response talks directly to reduction and elimination of restrictive practices. We also compare and contrast an Interim response with a Comprehensive Behaviour support plan and consider strategies.
Webinar running time: 01:28:50
- Foundations of Positive Behaviour Support Films
- Zero Tolerance Framework
- National framework for reducing and eliminating the use of restrictive practices in the disability service sector | DSS
Webinar 4: 'Chemical restraint - how you can support reduction'.
Join our guest speaker Mandy Donley to learn about medications and their side effects, having the tough conversations and steps you can take in your work with people with disability who are prescribed medication s to primarily influence behaviour.
Webinar running time: 01:36:49
- Causes and Contributors to deaths of people with disability research | NDIS Commission
- Preparing to visit a doctor to talk about psychotropic medication | VODG UK
- STOMPOZ - Stopping over-medication of people with a learning disability, autism or both with psychotropic medicines
For any enquiries, please contact Sarah Nicoll, National Practice Lead - Zero Tolerance Initiative, 0410492881, submit enquiry/feedback