Victorian Government announces economic participation plan for people with disability
The Victorian Government has released 'Every Opportunity: Victorian economic participation plan for people with a disability 2018-2020'.
The plan has 21 initiatives, which include enhancing education pathways, improving employment opportunities, the Victorian government’s social enterprise strategy procurement, and addressing discrimination and other barriers.
NDS welcomes this announcement as confirmation of the Government’s ongoing commitment to improving
economic opportunities and outcomes for people with disability.
The Every Opportunity plan is available here.
The plan takes into account the many ways that people with disability can become more involved in economic participation. It commits to several initiatives in schools, traineeships, TAFE programs, and mentoring programs. The plan acknowledges how the Victorian government can lead by example by setting employment targets in the public sector, and encourages private sector employers to take action to build more inclusive workplaces for people with disability.
The plan also aims to complement employment supports funded under the NDIS and
further develop initiatives through Information, Linkages, and Capacity
Building (ILC) funding in the NDIS.
Notable initiatives in the plan include:
- Developing a Victorian public sector disability employment action plan which includes a 6 per cent target by 2020 increasing to 12 per cent by 2025;
- Building a strong focus on employment outcomes into the NDIS, commencing with funding three initiatives through ILC transition funding;
- Implementing the Victorian Government’s social enterprise strategy with a focus on providing more employment opportunities for disadvantaged jobseekers, including those with disability;
- Developing a whole-of-government social procurement framework that takes action to enhance economic opportunities for people with disability; and
- Supporting NDS’s Ticket to Work and after-school job project to assist young people with significant disability.
NDS and our members look forward to working with the Victorian government, employers, schools and other training programs to achieve the goals of Every Opportunity and improve economic participation and outcomes for people with disability.