Victorian Disability Worker Regulation Scheme developments: What you need to know
In October, NDS held a consultation workshop with staff from the Victorian Disability Worker Regulation Scheme, and members provided their feedback on the Scheme. A public consultation period has now commenced on the proposed regulations and registration standards.
NDS is now bringing the sector together for a second consultation workshop, to develop a sector response to the proposed Code of Conduct and registration standards.
What are the latest developments?
- The Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) and the Disability Worker Registration Board of Victoria have commenced public consultation through EngageVictoria on the proposed regulations and registration standards for the Victorian Disability Worker Regulation Scheme.
- Consultation papers have been developed for the both the proposed standards and the proposed regulations.
- This public consultation relates to the following two activities:
- a Code of Conduct, prescribed offences and other regulations for unregistered disability workers setting expectations for the delivery of safe and ethical support and services
- registration standards and guidelines for registered disability workers who choose to register with the scheme
- Information-only sessions will be held on Wednesday 29 January and Thursday 6 February. These are not consultation sessions. The purpose is to provide information on how to give feedback as part of the consultation.
- The standards and regulations will be in force from 1 July 2020.
- The public consultation period will close on 14 February 2020.
- To ask questions or to register for one of the information sessions, you can contact DHHS and the Disability Worker Registration Board of Victoria at .
What is NDS’s response to the proposed regulations and registration standards?
NDS is bringing the sector together for a second consultation workshop in response to the proposed regulations and registration standards.
This workshop has two purposes:
- To gain member feedback that will inform a submission by NDS in response to the proposed regulations and registration standards for the Scheme.
- To support members to make their own submissions to the proposed regulations and registrations standards, so that the voice of the disability sector can be heard.
What can members do now?
- Register for NDS’s consultation workshop and attend on Monday 3 February from 2.00pm to 4.00pm.
- Read the consultation papers.
- Contact NDS with any questions or to provide feedback if you cannot attend the consultation workshop. All enquiries to: Anthea Gellie – email or call 03 8342 4330 or Sarah Fordyce - email or call 03 8341 4303.
- After attending the workshop and developing an organisation view on the consultation papers, visit Engage Victoria to provide feedback via submission or via the survey.