State of the Disability Sector Report 2019 released
NDS has released its State of the Disability Sector Report for 2019, launched this morning at the NDS CEOs' Meeting in Sydney.
This year’s flagship report finds that while operating conditions might have improved, serious issues around pricing, sustainability, regulations and more continue to present great challenges for the sector.
Featured in the report are the results from the sixth round of the Annual Market Survey, conducted independently by the University of New South Wales. 667 disability service providers responded to the survey this year, the largest number so far. The report also provides expert analysis on the major issues this year.
Key findings from the report include:
- Financial stability is fragile: Just 49% reported making a 2019 profit of 3% or more
- 76% of providers are worried they can’t provide NDIS services without the Temporary Transformation Payment price loading
- Three quarters of respondents think there are too many unnecessary rules and regulations
- 75% say unpaid assistance for people to navigate the NDIS distracts from their service provision
- Over half (55%) of providers say NDIS policy reforms are heading in the right direction
- Four in ten respondents are confident the Quality and Safeguards Framework will improve services
- 22% of providers say operating conditions have improved (compared to 11% in 2018)
- Only 22% of respondents feel the NDIA has a high level of respect for service providers
To move in the right direction and achieve the sector we want to see, NDS has proposed the following 12 actions as part of the report:
- Prices and funding models that stimulate growth and quality
- Sector development that supports transition and progress
- Market stewardship that responds to warning signs of market failure
- NDIS processes informed by experience
- Flexibility that reflects national diversity
- Resolution of complex design problems
- Investment in quality and safeguarding
- More open employment opportunities
- Extended school-to-work support
- More job opportunities for people with disability
- An appropriately resourced National Disability Strategy
- A National Mental Health Strategy
We look forward to working with our members, governments and people with disability to implement these crucial changes for the sector.
For more detail on our survey findings and proposed actions, download the full report below. Or for a one-page summary you can share, take a look at our State of the Disability Sector Report 2019 factsheet.
State of the Disability Sector Report 2019: PDFDownload publication (PDF 8.1MB) Download accessible publication (Word 1.2MB)