NDS's Professional Community of Practice Series
DHHS has funded NDS since mid-2016 to offer a series of highly-valued Communities of Practice (CoP), bringing together professionals to discuss key operational issues and share good practice and strategies for working in the NDIS environment.
In 2019-2020, NDS are running two CoPs, which are open to all disability service providers in Victoria.
Complexity Community of Practice
The first of these CoPs focuses on supporting participants with complex support needs. At recent meetings, this group held discussions on the following topics:
- Navigating housing options, including SIL and SDA, for participants with complex support needs;
- Clarification and feedback on the complex support needs pathway;
- Supporting participants with psychosocial disability and complex support needs;
- Robust methods of providing and collecting evidence, to demonstrating the need of ongoing supports for participants with complex support needs;
- Day services and participants with complex support needs;
- Participant transport and worker travel for providers supporting participants with complex support needs; and
- Policy and pricing updates, including the new complexity pricing tiers.
Support Coordination Community of Practice
The second of the CoPs discusses good practice for support coordination, and is an opportunity for strategies and information to be shared between providers. At recent meetings of this CoP, the group have discussed a wide range of topics relevant to support coordinators, including:
- Approaches for dealing with incomplete, blank or missing Requests For Service (RFS) for support coordination providers;
- Strategies for supporting participants through planning meetings – unscheduled and scheduled reviews, change of circumstance; and successful communication strategies to use in the planning process;
- Ideal practice for support coordinators working with people with a psychosocial disability;
- Workforce shortages for support coordinators, and strategies for recruitment and retention;
- NDIS interfaces with mainstream service sectors – Challenges, enablers, and strategies that support coordinators and specialist support coordinators employ to work at the interfaces with the NDIS; and
- Policy and pricing updates.
Meetings are held at the NDS offices in Parkville, with tele/video conferencing facilities also available.
See the upcoming dates for these events here:
NDS Professional Community of Practice Meetings details
Complexity - register here
Date: Thursday, 5 December 2019
Time: 10:00am – 11:30am
Support Coordination - register here
Date: Wednesday, 27 November 2019
Time: 10:00am – 11:30am
These meetings usually fill up quickly, so be sure to register well in advance for the remaining CoP meetings running up until 30 June 2020. All registrations are via our Eventbrite.