NDS welcomes establishment of National Disability Research Partnership
In his Press Club Speech on 14 November, one of the more exciting developments Minister Robert announced was an initiative to drive research-based innovation in the disability sector.
The Melbourne Disability Initiative, part of Melbourne University, will lead the establishment of a National Disability Research Partnership (NDRP) with seed funding of $2.5 million, over two years.
The NDRP will:
- establish priority research themes and develop and fund a research program directed at these themes;
- co-ordinate programs of research that stimulate innovation and build knowledge;
- assess the efficacy of various interventions and service practices, in particular their success at building the capacity and independence of NDIS participants over time;
- disseminate and promote knowledge of contemporary best practice; and
- connect researchers to people with disability and service providers to facilitate co-produced participatory or inclusive research.
NDS has consistently advocated for the establishment of an NDRP type entity, and its establishment is welcomed. The NDRP promises to be an important part of getting the NDIS on track and for successful implementation of the revised National Disability Strategy. Disability service providers need to know ‘what works, for whom, under what circumstances, at what cost’ if they are to improve outcomes and attract and retain a high calibre workforce committed to professional development. Employee learning and development was cited in the top three business capability areas for improvement over the next 12 months, in the 2019 NDS Annual Market Survey.
NDS has supported and continues to support the establishment of the NDRP with an in-kind contribution combining subject matter expertise, project management support and strategic advice. NDS will build on its leadership of applied research in the sector and will continue to work closely with the NDRP to ensure NDRP activities reflect the priorities of disability service providers for research-backed innovation and contemporary best practice.