NDS Monthly Wrap - September 2018
Welcome to the Monthly Wrap - where we highlight 20 things that NDS has done in the past month to support the sector. This month, top picks include tackling disability housing and workforce issues at our first Outside the Box conference, kicking off our Annual Market Survey and engaging in discussions with government about a viable funding model for supported employment. Explore below:
Over the past month, NDS has:
- Explored housing issues and showcased workforce innovation projects at the national Outside the Box conference.
- Completed the NDIS Essential Briefing series with forums in Perth and Darwin.
- Held ‘Make it Work’ community forums in NSW, Qld and SA in partnership with Every Australian Counts to give those living and working under the NDIS the chance to urge their local MPs to deliver the best possible Scheme.
- Hosted a meeting between the NDIA and providers of community access services to discuss concerns about the impact of new NDIS group prices.
- Gave advice to the Productivity Commission about the future of the National Disability Agreement.
- Facilitated meetings between NDS members and the NDIA to improve the transfer process for people with disability entering the NDIS in WA.
- Gained an exemption for NDIS-funded services from the new Victorian Portable Long Service Scheme.
- Told the Joint Parliamentary Standing Committee on the NDIS about the problems of the NDIS ICT system; and about the need to streamline Assistive Technology approvals.
- Met with the NDIA and McKinsey & Company about developing higher prices for supporting NDIS participants with complex needs.
- Convened a disability data roundtable, with agreement to form a continuing group based at the University of Melbourne.
- Distributed the Annual Market Survey, the results of which will inform NDS’ State of the Disability Sector Report 2018.
- Met with the Australian Bureau of Statistics about a proposed Health Care and Social Assistance Industry Survey to collect workforce, financial and service-use data.
- Entered into a BuyAbility partnership with global facilities management company BGIS to generate jobs for people with disability.
- Engaged in discussions with government about a viable funding model for supported employment, and advised members about the Fair Work Commission’s decision to seek further submissions on wage-setting.
- Released a new episode of the NDS Sector Development Podcast, which has attracted more than 2,400 downloads since its launch in July.
- Received significant funding from the Victorian Government for the NDS Workforce Connectors project.
- Made a submission to the NSW Parliamentary Inquiry into the implementation of the NDIS and the provision of disability services in NSW.
- Met with the NDIS Quality and Safeguarding Commission Registrar to discuss issues with provider registration in NSW and SA.
- Introduced a NDIS & Sole Traders Online Hub on the NDP website to help those working as sole traders to find information and resources to support their work.
- Farewelled Richard Nelson and welcomed Ian Montague as NDS Queensland State Manager.
- Welcomed Chris Tanti as the new CEO of NDS.
National Disability Services