National COVID-19 Update: September 2023 ATAGI COVID-19 vaccination advice
What you need to know
- ATAGI has released September 2023 COVID-19 vaccination guidance regarding a booster dose for eligible groups if six months have passed since last vaccination.
- Adults aged 75 years or older are recommended to receive the additional dose if it has been six months since their last COVID-19 vaccination dose.
- ATAGI advice encourages a booster vaccination be considered for individuals at a higher risk of severe illness from COVID-19, including people with a disability or immune compromised individuals, if it has been six months since previous vaccination dose.
The September 2023 ATAGI advice recognises that protection available through COVID-19 vaccinations becomes less over time and while COVID-19 cases may have decreased this remains a serious disease and future virus transmission will continue to occur.
Adults aged 75 years or older are recommended to receive the additional dose if it has been six months since their last COVID-19 vaccination dose.
The following population groups are identified by ATAGI as eligible due to a higher risk of severe illness and encouraged to consider receiving the additional dose if it has been six months since their last COVID-19 vaccination dose:
- All adults aged 65 to 74 years,
- Adults aged 18 to 64 years with severe immunocompromise
- Individuals 18 to 74 years who:
- have no known history of SARS-CoV-2 infection (and therefore are unlikely to have protection from hybrid immunity),
- have medical comorbidities that increase their risk of severe COVID-19, or disability with significant or complex health needs, or
- reside in a residential aged care facility.
Full details of the September ATAGI advice is available from the Department of Health and Aged Care at ATAGI Update on the COVID-19 Vaccination Program
ATAGI continues to encourage all adults who were recommended to have a COVID-19 vaccine dose in February 2023, and who have not received one to arrange for a booster dose as soon as possible.
- Disability providers are asked to please share the September 2023 ATAGI COVID-19 vaccination guidance with people with disability, their families or carers and workers.
- Providers supporting people in residential accommodation are asked to support eligible people with a disability to access a COVID-19 booster dose for increased protection from serious illness or death.
Booking a vaccination provider
COVID-19 vaccinations providers can be identified at Service Finder on Clinic finder healthdirect.