NDS shares resources to support providers to meet the updated NDIS Practice Standards
What you need to know
- A revised NDIS Practice Standards - Interpretative Guide is now available
- Curated resources for providers navigating COVID-19 and natural disaster emergency planning have been updated
- Recorded webinars from NDS partner, BNG, can soon be viewed OnDemand
- Subscribers to NDS Workforce Essentials will soon have access to eLearning assets related to the new standards
NDS is hearing from providers that they have been working on the new Practice Standards. Providers are required to meet each of the standards and indicators by 24 January 2022.
To support this work, NDS has collected new resources that may assist with implementation. These are shared below alongside helpful information shared previously.
NDS has revised the popular NDIS Practice Standards (Core Module) – Interpretive Guide to include the new Mealtime Management and Emergency and Disaster Management requirements along with changes to a number of other quality indicators. The Guide may assist providers to interpret and better understand the new requirements of the NDIS Practice Standards.
NDS partner Breaking New Ground provides the NDS Quality Portal, an online platform that helps providers understand and streamline their NDIS Practice Standards obligations. Providers may wish to explore the NDS Quality Portal, incorporating the new standards and indicators in a free two-week trial.
BNG joined us recently to present an overview of the changes. NDS has published the recorded webinar for members.
The risk, incidents and complaints management resources developed by NDS for individuals, sole traders and small to medium-sized providers have been updated to reflect the new standards. The resources can be easily adapted and help providers meet some of the regulatory requirements.
Emergency and disaster management resources
By knowing the environment well, making clear plans, and training staff, organisations and workers can deliver supports that are responsive and can keep people with disabilities safe.
Resources specific to meeting this standard are available:
- A new Emergency and disaster management eLearning resource will be available to NDS Workforce Essentials Providers in late January
- COVID-19 Hub - National Disability Services (nds.org.au)
- Bushfire Information and Support
- Disability Inclusive Disaster Risk Reduction Toolkit
- NDIS Commission Practice Alerts also relate to individual emergency
Mealtime management and severe dysphagia resources
These standards relate to safe enjoyable mealtimes. At the 2021 CEOs’ Meeting we heard from the NDIS Commission that the Co-creating Safe and Enjoyable Meals for Disability and Dysphagia would be available in the new year.
Other resources for providers working on meeting this standard:
- NSW Government's, NGO Learning centre, offers a range of Mealtime Management resources
- Two NDIS Commission Practice Alerts relate to swallowing - Dysphagia, safe swallowing and mealtime management and Medicines associated with swallowing problems
- Guidance about severe dysphagia and mealtime management is available in the Fact sheet: NDIS Practice Standards: skills descriptors (High Intensity Skills Descriptors) | NDIS Quality and Safeguards Commission (ndiscommission.gov.au)
- Subscribers to NDS Workforce Essentials will soon have access to a new Mealtime management eLearning resource, and a Severe Dysphagia management eLearning resource.