A message for the future NSW Government
The NSW State Election will be held on 23 March 2019. Hot on the heels of the NSW Parliamentary Inquiry report into the implementation of the NDIS and provision of disability services, NDS has sent an open letter to all major political parties.
On behalf of our members, we are asking a future NSW Government to:
- Ensure that the NDIS is efficient, effective and equitable;
- Work to maintain and develop a NSW market made up of sustainable and high-quality service providers;
- Ensure that people with a disability in New South Wales have access appropriate and affordable housing;
- Support, develop and maintain effective mainstream interfaces for NDIS participants;
- Ensure that those people with disability who are not NDIS participants have access to specialist disability, mainstream and community supports and inclusion opportunities; and
- Support initiatives that deliver the workforce required to provide high-quality support to people with disability.
Specifically, we are seeking the NSW Government’s engagement and partnership with the disability sector, service providers and affected communities. We want them to commit to:
- Delivering on the recommendations of the NSW Parliamentary Inquiry report into the implementation of the NDIS and provision of disability services;
- Funding advocacy services beyond 2020;
- Developing a disability housing strategy; and
- Ensuring that the NSW Ageing and Disability Commissioner works toward the protection of all people with disability in New South Wales from abuse and neglect, including NDIS participants who are seeking supports from unregistered service providers.
NDS will post the responses that we receive to these questions.
In the period leading up to election, we urge NDS members to seek meetings with their local state MP’s or candidates and use these questions to seek their commitment to support NSW citizens with disability.