Victorian COVID-19 Update: As risk increases, providers should boost their management plans
What you need to know
- Community transmission of COVID-19 is increasing across Victoria
- In settings where the risk of transmission and impact is particularly significant, providers should act according to their risk profile and government COVID-19 guidance.
- Review all emergency and disaster management plans with staff for summer.
An eighth wave of COVID-19 is spreading across communities and not expected to peak until Christmas. This is an expected part of the ongoing evolution of COVID-19 in the community, as our immunity from both infection and vaccination wanes with time.
During this time, the Victorian Government is recommending increased levels of risk management to support those people at greatest risk of severe consequences of COVID-19. This includes people aged 65 and above, with a disability or chronic medical condition and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people.
Health authorities are also recommending the best way to prevent those you love from getting infected is to protect yourself. If you do not get COVID-19, you cannot spread COVID-19. All details associated with Victorian COVID-19 guidance have now moved to the Better Health Channel.
Risk management strategies recommended include:
- reviewing your organisational COVID-19 safe plan and strategies
- checking all workers are familiar with your organisational policies and procedures
- reviewing risk management responsibilities with all staff
- reviewing risk management recommendations for visitors
- encouraging all workers to receive their eligible COVID-19 vaccination
- sharing the latest advice about COVID-19 vaccination doses and eligibility with people with disability and their families or carers
- refreshing your communications on preventative measures, such as mask use, social distancing, ventilation, and hand hygiene.
- revisiting checklists for symptoms, exposure, COVID testing and isolation from work with workers.
It is essential your service reviews and update emergency and disaster planning and communications in line with the latest NDIS Commission guidance. You are also welcome to the resources on the COVID-19 Risk Management page on our COVID-19 hub. And the Australian Government publishes national guidelines on influenza and COVID-19 outbreak management for disability settings.
Call the National Coronavirus Helpline on 1800 020 080 if you have any further questions about COVID-19.
The Victorian Government has developed a COVID-19 stakeholder pack to reflect the Medium Status risk management strategies recommended to reduce COVID-19 infection transmission. This includes colourful images with simple messages to promote COVID-19 safe practices. To receive the stakeholder pack, please email Lourdes Zamanillo: submit enquiry/feedback with subject line Request for Medium Risk COVID-19.
If you have not done so already, we would highly encourage everyone to sign up for the Chief Health Officer’s health alerts and advisories for the Victorian public and health sectors.