Buddy Training for Frontline Staff: eLearning and Workshop
NDS and PHI present: Buddy Training for Frontline Staff. This course will teach staff working as buddies to provide an excellent induction to new care and support staff, improving the experience of the person receiving services and reflect NDIS Quality Standards.
Part one: eLearning (45 minutes) - available from Monday, 10 July
Part one to be completed before the workshop. Once you have completed the eLearning (part one), you will receive the zoom link to the workshop (part two).
- Understand the role and responsibility of staff who are buddies, including their scope of practice and role boundaries
- Be aware of health and safety risks and understand the importance of policies and procedures
- Orientate the new staff member to use a person’s care and support plan and documentation requirements
- Providing support, preparing for, and completing a buddy shift
Part two: Workshop, Wednesday, 19 July, 1:00 pm to 2:00 pm AEST
Pre-requisite: Complete part one: eLearning
Learn Strategies for helping buddies to:
- Build rapport with new staff
- Demonstrate/model good practice
- Use a team approach
- Encourage new staff
- Provide feedback in a positive way
This workshop is in partnership with Preventing Harm Initiative (PHI) and facilitated by Donny Raets. Donny's expertise is in creating manageable ways to identify, report, investigate and most importantly, how to prevent or reduce the likelihood of recurrence.
Donny holds a Diploma of Teaching, Cert IV Training and Assessment, Cert IV Aged and Community Care and has 30 plus years’ experience in education, ranging from Primary through to Tertiary (Vocational Education and Training), remote Indigenous Communities and the Corporate sector. Her CALD background and training in the Arts support her creation and delivery of meaningful learning experiences.
Who should attend?NDS recommends that all staff who work as Buddies for new staff within disability service organisations are most suited to attend.
Part One: eLearning
- eLearning available from Monday, 13 March.
Part Two: Workshop
Date: Wednesday, 22 March
Time: 1:00 pm to 2:00 pm AEDT
- NDP and NDS Members: $160 plus GST
- Non-members: $225 plus GST
For any enquiries, please contact Learn and Develop, Learn and Develop team, submit enquiry/feedback, show phone number