The Essentials Masterclass: Work Health and Safety and Clients - A new frontier for WHS?
Three recent cases suggest that work health & safety regulators are increasingly active in relation to harm to clients. This challenges the common - but false - assumption that WHS law only applies to harm to employees. The personal and organisational liabilities under WHS law can be many times greater than those under the NDIS quality and safeguarding system, including the possibility of criminal penalties and imprisonment. In this Masterclass we will hear from three experts in WHS law.
- Dr Dru Marsh, a lawyer and Chair of disability support provider Golden City Support Services, will compare the requirements of the NDIS quality and safeguarding system with those of WHS law.
- Ms Melissa Doran, Special Counsel in WHS with Clyde & Co. lawyers, will speak on organisational and personal duties and how to discharge them.
- Ms Clare Amies, CEO of genU and former CEO of WorkSafe Victoria, will offer reflections from leading both a human services provider and a health and safety regulator.
The Masterclass will be facilitated by Dr Alan Hough of Purpose at Work.
This session may discuss issues that might cause distress for some audience members. It’s okay to take a break if you need to. Think about who you can talk to if you need extra support. Beyond Blue 1300 224 636; Lifeline 13 11 14; your organisation’s Employee Assistance Program (EAP), if available.
Presented by: Dr. Dru Marsh, lawyer and President of Golden City Support Services; Melissa Doran, Special Counsel in WHS with Clyde & Co. lawyers; Clare Amies, CEO, GenU and former CEO of Worksafe Victoria and Alan Hough, Director, Purpose at Work.
Who Should Attend?
The series is intended for middle and senior disability sector managers, who are keen to receive an update on the key issues/emerging themes in the sector and the work underway to address them.
Date: Wednesday, 29 September
Time: 11.00am to 12.30am AEST
- NDS Member / Organisational Associate / NDS Industry Supporter: $179, per masterclass, per person (including GST)
- Non-Member: $230, per masterclass, per person (including GST)
Registrations are now open for The Essentials - NDS's Essential Briefing and Masterclass online series.
The Essentials online series is comprised of several ‘deconstructed’ hot topic sessions, facilitated over three weeks. The series has been designed with flexibility in mind! Participants can choose individual sessions or several, depending on their interests. All live streamed sessions will include access to an on-demand platform, where the recorded session and complementary resources will be available for 90 days.
Register now and receive a 10 per cent discount when you register for 3 or more NDS Members / Organisational Associates or NDS Industry Supporters.
Please note: NDS Member / Organisational Associate / Industry Supporter group registration (3 or more) applies to 3 or more delegates attending the event from the same organisation, booked collectively. Members cannot be added to the group booking after the initial booking has been made.