Vic COVID-19 update: Call for disability services to support urgent vaccine push
What you need to know
- New single pathway for people with disabilities to access a vaccination
- Disability Liaison Officers can identify vaccination options to suit individual needs
- Providers and support workers asked to help with vaccine push
In a final push before Victoria fully reopens, we ask providers and disability workers help ensure that people with disabilities get vaccinated should they wish to.
Although we acknowledge that vaccinations are a choice for participants, we do not want anyone to be left behind and not able to fully participate in activities as reopening occurs.
Disability Liaison Officers
Disability Liaison Officers (DLO), with expanded staffing, are matching people with disabilities to the vaccination option that best suits their needs.
This may be Commonwealth or State-run, general practitioner, or any other COVID-19 vaccination options across the State.
The DLOs can also arrange for any specialised needs, including individuals who may require in reach support, sedation and vaccinations for family.
Workers asked to support the vaccination push
We know that many people with disabilities who are not vaccinated are likely to be accessing disability services. Your workers may be the key contact to make this connection with them.
Please ask your workers to support the push not to leave anyone behind, by:
- Introducing the topic of vaccination through a conversation with the person. This could include asking about their access to a COVID-19 vaccination and whether they still have any questions or concerns.
- Framing the enquiry in the context of reopening Victoria. We want individuals to have the maximum opportunity to re-engage in activities and communities.
- Asking if they are happy to have a chat with a DLO. With the person's consent, the worker can complete the Request for DLO Support form.
The DLO will then contact the individual, their family member, or disability worker if this is more appropriate.
Contact a DLO by either:
- completing this online form: Request for Disability Liaison Officer support
- emailing DLOcoordinator@dhhs.vic.gov.au