Industrial Relations Resources for Employers covered by the Modern SCHADS Industry Award
From 1 July 2012, providers of social and community services employing staff under SCHADS (The Social, Community, Home Care and Disability Services Industry Award 2010) were required to implement the new Modern Award classification structure and pay rates, as well as penalty rates and loadings.
Details on the SCHADS Modern Award are available through the Fair Work Commission (FWC) website. As awards are subject to change it is recommended that organisations refer to the most up-to-date online version of the Award. FWA are also contactable on 1300 799 675.
From 1 December 2012, service providers employing workers classified under SACS (Social and Community Services) and Crisis Accommodation, SCHADS Modern Award, were required to implement the salary rates set out in the FWA SACS Equal Remuneration Order (ERO). The phasing in of the ERO commenced in December 2012 and will be completed in 2020.
In supporting organisations, NDS, the Australian Council of Social Services (ACOSS) and Jobs Australia are working in collaboration to deliver a National SACS Education and Information Program (EIP) for employers on behalf of the Australian Government.
The program has been designed to provide education sessions and supporting information for employers in the community and disability services sectors about the changes to the industrial landscape following the introduction of the SCHADS Modern Award and the outcome from the ERO.
Organisations are advised to access the links below for up-to-date industrial relations information and resources and details of upcoming forums and events available in their specific state or territory.
- Australian Capital Territory
- New South Wales
- Northern Territory
- South Australia
- Western Australia
Phase 2 webinars are now available for registration.
- 9 April: SACS EIP Webinar (NT, SA, ACT and TAS)
- 17 April: VIC SACS EIP (VIC specific)
- 14 May: WA SACS EIP Webinar (WA specific)
- 14 May: NSW SACS EIP Webinar (NSW specific)
- 15 May: SACS EIP Webinar (NT, SA, ACT and TAS)
- 23 May: QLD SACS EIP Webinar (QLD specific)
- 28 May: NSW SACS EIP Webinar (NSW specific)
- 29 May: VIC SACS EIP Webinar (VIC specific)
- 11 June: NSW SACS EIP Webinar (NSW specific)
- 19 June: QLD SACS EIP Webinar (QLD specific)
Frequently Asked Questions and a Glossary of Terms on the SCHADS Modern Award and ERO implementation are now available.
- Glossary of Terms: PDF 319KB, Word 21KB
- SCHADS Modern Award: PDF 192KB, Word 12KB
- Loading and Penalty Rates: PDF 195KB, Word 12KB
- Over Award Conditions: PDF 192KB, Word 12KB
- Pay: PDF 194KB, Word 12KB
- Equal Remuneration Order: PDF 195KB, Word 12KB
- Contracts of Employment: PDF 194KB, Word 12KB
- Enterprise Bargaining Agreements: PDF 265KB, Word 11KB
- Hours of Work: PDF 203KB, Word 14KB
- Leave: PDF 200KB, Word 13KB
- Sleepovers: PDF 189KB, Word 11KB
Commonwealth Supplementation Update
Legislation has now passed through the Parliament to secure $2.8 billion to meet the costs of the Australian Government's contribution to the pay increases detailed in the ERO handed down by Fair Work Australia (FWA).
Further information including how the Australian Government will calculate supplementation can be found on the FaHCSIA website.
State and territory governments are still formulating their funding commitments.
NDS is not an industrial advisory body and this information is provided for your consideration only. Formal advice on industrial matters should be obtained from an industrial advisor or from the Fair Work Ombudsman (FWO) who can be contacted on 13 13 94.
If accessible versions of the documents below are required please contact Dion Beverakis on 02 9256 3164 for further assistance.
The ASU are providing employee sessions under the National SACS EIP, also funded by the Australian Government.
For further information, contact:
Ph 02 9256 3107
Ph 02 9256 3164
Ph 02 6283 3215
- For information relating to awards and agreements
Fair Work Commission
1300 734 322
- Pay rates and the National Employment Standards
Fair Work Ombudsman
13 13 94
- Fair Work Ombudsman Pay and Conditions Guides
- Fair Work Equal Remuneration Calculator
- FaHCSIA - SACS equal remuneration website (subscription available)
- FaHCSIA Frequently Asked Questions
- Phase I - SCHADS Modern Award and ERO Implementation Recorded Webinars